Listed Building: THE OLD FARMHOUSE (1240360)

Grade II
Authority
Volume/Map/Item 1356, 3, 464
Date assigned 24 August 1990
Date last amended

Description

TQ 54 SW SPELDHURST BULLINGSTONE LANE 3/464 The Old Farmhouse II Former farmhouse. Late C15/early C16, late C16/early C17 improvements, altered in late C17 (1671 if a date on one of the beams is genuine), refurbished with an extension circa 1984. Timber-framed on coursed sandstone footings. Ground floor front is underbuilt in Flemish bond red brick with decorative burnt headers, framing above is hung with peg-tile, and the south east end has exposed framing down to the footings. Brick stack on stone base with brick chimneyshaft including old brick. Peg-tile roof. Plan and Development: House faces south west and has a T-plan. Main block has a basic 2-room plan. The right (south east) room is the unheated service end and still divided into 2 smaller rooms by an axial partition (same on the first floor). The left room is the hall, the main living room, and it has a gable-end stack backing onto a lean-to outshot that end. C20 one-room plan extension projecting to rear. It now contains the present kitchen. The present layout of the main block is the result of late C17 alterations which probably reduced the size of the farmhouse. Before that it probably had another room on the left end where the outshot is now. The main room was originally a late medieval hall, open to the roof and heated by an open hearth fire. The service end is wholly late medieval. It was always 2 storeys and always subdivided into 2 smaller rooms on each floor. In the late C16/early C17 the hall was floored over and a timber-framed stack was inserted, replaced by the present brick and stone stack in the late C17. Also in the late C17 the hall roof was rebuilt. House is 2 storeys. Exterior: Irregular 2-window front of C19 and C20 casements containing diamond panes of leaded glass and hall has a canted bay window. Front doorway up a flight of stone steps. It contains an old part-glazed plank door under a monopitch hood. Main roof is gable-ended. The right (south west) end shows the late medieval framing, large panels with curving tensions braces. Each floor has 2 small windows with diamond mullions, only one has replacement mullions. Circa 1984 extension in the same style as the older section. Interior: Well-preserved. The late medieval carpentry is plain but of relatively large scantling. The service end joists are chamfered with step stops. Late C16/early C17 axial beam in the hall is chamfered with canted step stops and the joists are chamfered with step stops. The fireplace has stone jambs and brick back but has a timber-framed front (the right jamb cut out by the stone). It has a low Tudor arch with chamfered surround and the lintel has a moulded cornice cut from the solid. The roof is original over the service end; one-bay of crown post construction. It has been replaced over the hall but the stub of the crown purlin remains and it is smoke- blackened from the original open hearth fire. Hall roof replaced in the late C17 with a butt purlin construction and one of the timbers is inscribed with the date 1671. The Old Farmhouse is a well-preserved and interesting multi-phase farmhouse. Listing NGR: TQ5448741138

External Links (0)

Sources (1)

  • Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Map

Location

Grid reference TQ 5448 4113 (point)
Map sheet TQ54SW
Civil Parish SPELDHURST, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2006 5:21PM