Listed Building: THE CHARITY (1349065)

Grade II
Authority
Volume/Map/Item 1355, 8, 218
Date assigned 10 October 1989
Date last amended

Description

LAMBERHURST SCHOOL HILL TQ 6636-6736 (west side) 8/218 Nos. 1, 2 & 3 The Charity GV II House, now house row. C15, altered and extended C16 and early C18, reconditioned late C20. Timber framed and exposed with plaster infill and with plain tiled roof. Wealden plan of four framed bays in origin. Two storeys, basement and attic on plinth with underbuilt jetties to left and right end bays, with surviving jetty returned to right on dragon post. Half-hipped roof with 3 gabled dormers and stack to end right and large stack churner to centre left. Four light and 2 three light C20 casements on each floor and rib and stud doors to left, centre right and right. Basement opening in right return in high plinth. The right end bay is separately framed and possibly added when the hall was ceiled over, indicated by a panel of tension braced framing to upper left. the rest of the framing, now inappropriately exposed, is late in character and meant only as a ground to the destroyed rendered and sashed facade described in the old provisional list. The building was formerly used as the village workhouse. Listing NGR: TQ6765136388

External Links (0)

Sources (1)

  • Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Map

Location

Grid reference TQ 6765 3638 (point)
Map sheet TQ63NE
Civil Parish LAMBERHURST, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2006 5:21PM