Listed Building: DOWNS COTTAGES (NOS 1,2 AND 3) AND THE OLD CAFE (1239134)
Grade | II |
---|---|
Authority | |
Volume/Map/Item | 994, 8, 225 |
Date assigned | 22 October 1982 |
Date last amended |
Description
SWANLEY SWANLEY VILLAGE ROAD 1. 5280 (south side) Downs Cottages (Nos 1, 2 and 3) and The Old Cafe TQ 5369 8/225 II GV 2. There are records of a house on this site in the C15 or early C16 but the present building appears to date from the late C16 to early C17. Its earlier name was Nemefield and it was originally one house. Later a back part was added and the house was divided into cottages. After 1860 it was the village Post Office and stores. Two storeys timber-framed, the first floor now pebble- dashed, the ground floor encased in brick. Four windows, 2 of which are sliding casements. External brick chimneystack. The rear elevation has 4 gables. Nos 1 and 2 Downs Cottages have a blocked in inglenook fireplace.
Listing NGR: TQ5267469571
External Links (0)
Sources (1)
- SKE16160 Map: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
Location
Grid reference | TQ 5267 6957 (point) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TQ56NW |
Civil Parish | SWANLEY, SEVENOAKS, KENT |
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2006 10:25AM