Maritime record TR 01 NE 287 - Seinte Marie
Summary
Location
| Grid reference | TR 0969 1695 (point) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TR01NE |
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Sources (1) and (3) vary: source (1) implies that there were three carracks, called SEINTE MARIE, SEINTE KATERINE and SEINT JULIANE, respectively, whereas source (2) implies that there was just one carrack, called LA CAREK SEINTE MARIE, SEINTE KATERINE AND SEINT JULIANE:
'1360. Sept. 16. Westminster. Commission to John de Bello Campo of Warrewyk, Robert de Hadham, Robert Elbrigge and William Tidecombe to make inquisition by the oath of good men of the counties of Kent and Sussex, as well within the liberty of the Cinque Ports as without, touching an information that some great ships called "carackes", to wit SEINTE MARIE, SEINTE KATERINE and SEINT JULIANE, and a cog called SEINT DOMENYK DE ROMERIA, lately laden at Brugges in Flanders with goods and merchandise of merchants of Genoa, which the king took into his protection, while sailing for Genoa were wrecked on a sandbank near the shore at Dyngemerssh by Romeneye and the goods and merchandise being washed ashore in Kent and Sussex were saved, that the merchants and mariners of the ships and cog came to land alive, and that evildoers of the said counties carried away the goods so saved and in the king's protection; and find into whoso hands the same came and other articles and circumstances relating to the premises.' (1)
'1360. Sept. 28. Westminster. Commission of oyer and terminer to John de Bello Campo of Warrewyk, William de Notton, Robert de Hadham, Robert Elbrigg and William de Titecombe, in the counties of Kent and Sussex, on complaint by John de Mari, Andrew de Mari, George de Mari, Agamelo Cibo, John de Caparalia and Peter de Menola, merchants of Genoa, that whereas the king lately took them, their ships and merchandise into his protection and safe conduct, some evildoers of those counties at Dyngenassh by Romeneye, boarded at sea a great ship called LA CAREK SEINTE MARIE, SEINTE KATERINE AND SEINT JULIANE and a cog called SEINTE DOMENIK and carried away their goods and merchandise in the ship and cog.' (2)
NB: The nationality of the vessel is likely to have been Genoese, since the merchants concerned were Genoese and the vessel was bound there. [Additionally other Genoese carracks are attested on AMIE in 1379 and 1388.] With that in mind the name of the vessel has also been transcribed into an alternative version in modern Italian, SANTA MARIA, to assist retrievability: also SANTA MARIA, SANTA CATERINA E SAN GIULIANO, in the light of the information in source (2).
Owner: of cargo, Genoese merchants (1); named as John, Andrew and George de Mari, Agamelo Cibo, John de Caparalia and Peter de Menola (2)
Date of Loss Qualifier: Reporting date of loss
<1> Calendar of Patent Rolls, Edward III, 1358-61, membrane 14d. Vol XI, p483 (Bibliographic reference). SKE56226.
<2> Calendar of Patent Rolls, Edward III, 1358-61, membrane 15d. Vol II, p482 (Bibliographic reference). SKE56226.
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2026 11:17AM