Building record TR 16 NE 83 - Former Herne Hospital/Blean Union Workhouse

Summary

Blean Union Workhouse was built in 1835 to accommodate 500 people. There had previously been a parish workhouse in Herne dating back to 1794. The new Union workhouse was designed by William Edmunds and based on Sir Francis Bond Head's 'Plan of a Rural Workhouse for 500 Persons' published by the Poor Law Commissioners in 1835. It comprised four two-storey ranges of yellow stock brick with slate roofs around a central quadrangle. The northern wing contained a central entrance block, with a hipped roof and windows set in giant segmental-headed arches. It was flanked by attached wings, which contained a board room. A central section was later added, which provided a refectory and chapel. The central area between the buildings was divided up into as many as 8 exercise yards for different categories of inmate (e.g. male/female, young/old). The workhouse was of a grim nature, with no external windows and no outside drains. Discipline appears to have been extremely strict. On one occasion a nine-year-old girl was punished for a minor offence by being shut up all night in the mortuary with a corpse. The Master and Matron were dismissed after a subsequent enquiry. There were several later improvements including the conversion of the stables into an extra ward, the erection of new stables and a carriage house and, in 1845, the erection of a fever ward. Between 1874 and 1875, two new buildings were built to provide four general wards and two isolation wards. These were designed in the same materials as the original workhouse. The most impressive building was the free-standing water tower, with narrow metal-framed windows in semi-circular, gauged brick arches, and a machicolated parapet at tank level. After 1930, the buildings were used as a disabled peoples home, specifically women. After 1948, the buildings were modernised and became Herne Hospital. It closed in around 1986 and the buildings were converted to residential use. Almost all the buildings were still extant in 2007.

Location

Grid reference Centred TR 175 651 (293m by 232m)
Map sheet TR16NE
District CANTERBURY, KENT
Civil Parish HERNE AND BROOMFIELD, CANTERBURY, KENT

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

In 1835 a new workhouse was built to house 500 people. It's design was influenced by Sir Francis Bond Head, Assistant Poor Law Commissioner for Kent, and built by Sherwood of Lambeth.

The main block comprises four tow-storey workhouse ranges grouped in a square around a quadrangle. All these buildings are of yellow stock brick with slate roofs. The northern wing contains a central entrance block, with a hipped roof and windows set within giant segmental-headed arches. This was flanked by attached wings. That on the western side contained the board-room and has a later bay-window extension. A central spine link was later added, directly connecting the north and south ranges, and contained dining-hall and chapel. This room has three wall paintings of c.1900 depicting scenes of local life (do they still exist?)

Architecturally, the most impressive feature of the original workhouse complex was the free-standing water tower, with narrow metal-framed windows in semi-circular, gauged brick arches, and a machicolated parapet at tank level. (demolished).

The new Blean workhouse was completed in 1836. Economies of the construction meant that it was built without outside drains and without any windows in the external walls as a security feature. In 1843 a concession was made when a single window was inserted in the outside wall of the dining hall.

Various improvements were made gradually over the years, including the conversion of the stable block into additional wards, the erection of fresh stables and a carriage house, and the addition, in 1845, of a fever ward. With improving attitudes towards the treatment of the poor and sick, two new isolation wards were added in 1874-5. The general ward block is a two-storey brick building with exterior staircases at either end. The detached single-storey isolation ward, had a smaller unidentified building nearby. All have steeply pitched hipped roofs in slate and prominent chimney stacks.

With the abolition of the workhouse system in 1930 the site was taken over by Kent County Council as a home for epileptic and mentally ill women, with a hand full of old men to look after the gardens. When the National Health Service was established in 1948, the building became a hospital for the chronically sick, Known as Herne Hospital. All the buildings were modernised and additional facilities for staff and patients constructed. The hospital closed in 1986 and has now been converted into housing.(1)

Prior to the formation of Blean Union in 1834, Poorhouses in the parishes of the Arcbishop's Palace Canterbury, Chislet, Christchurch, Hackington, Herne, Herne Bay, Hoath, Reculver, St Dunstan, St Gregory, Seasalter, Staplegate, Sturry, Swalecliff, Westbere and Whitstable catered for the needs of the poor. It is difficult to locate these Poorhouses as they were often set up in large houses in each village. By 1913 there were also two 'scattered homes' for children : Glenholm in Mill Lane Herne for girls and nearby Lyndhurst in Kingsfield Road Herne for boys.


Kent Workhouses


© 2017 Kent Workhouses
, 2018, Kent Workhouses & Poorhouses (Website). SKE51755.

<1> RCHME, 1993, Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Compilation of Kent Hospitals Record Sheets (Unpublished document). SKE6841.

<1> Kathryn Morrison, 1999, The Workhouse: A Study of Poor Law Buildings in England (Monograph). SKE58618.

<2> Peter Higginbotham, Higginbotham, Peter. 2000. The Workhouse. (Website). SKE53741.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • --- Website: Kent Workhouses  © 2017 Kent Workhouses. 2018. Kent Workhouses & Poorhouses.
  • <1> Monograph: Kathryn Morrison. 1999. The Workhouse: A Study of Poor Law Buildings in England.
  • <1> Unpublished document: RCHME. 1993. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Compilation of Kent Hospitals Record Sheets.
  • <2> Website: Peter Higginbotham. Higginbotham, Peter. 2000. The Workhouse..

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • Non-Intrusive Event: Survey of Herne Hospital Building Survey (Ref: NBR 101179) (EKE8251)

Record last edited

Feb 13 2026 1:31PM