Building record TQ 76 NW 355 - Zoar Chapel (Site of), Strood High Street

Summary

Chapel, large enough to seat between 250 - 300 people, built by Richard West in 1796 and demolished in the mid 1970's. It was brick built, fronted by iron railings, and stood back from the street. It had associated with it a cemetery, now removed, and a large schoolroom. It replaced some old cottages which and been converted into use as the Strood Tabernacle in 1785.

Location

Grid reference TQ 73820 69100 (point) Estimated from sources
Map sheet TQ76NW
Civil Parish ROCHESTER & CHATHAM, MEDWAY, KENT

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Chapel, large enough to seat between 250 - 300 people, built by Richard West in 1796 and demolished in the mid 1970's. It was brick built, fronted by iron railings, and stood back from the street. It had associated with it a cemetery, now removed, and a large schoolroom. It replaced some old cottages which ahd been converted into use as thew Strood Tabernacle in 1785. (1)

Site of independent chapel in the High Street, Strood, which was built in 1796. It was derelict in 1976 and has since been demolished. (2)


<1> Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group, 2001, The Zoar Chapel Site, Strood. A Report on the Excavation 1976 (Unpublished document). SKE12171.

<2> Christopher Stell, 2002, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England (Bibliographic reference). SKE58544.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group. 2001. The Zoar Chapel Site, Strood. A Report on the Excavation 1976.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Christopher Stell. 2002. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • Intrusive Event: Zoar Chapel, Strood (EKE8491)

Record last edited

Feb 12 2026 10:31AM