Listed Building record TQ 83 SE 142 - THE OLD MEETING HOUSE (UNITARIAN CHAPEL)
Summary
Location
| Grid reference | TQ 8860 3371 (point) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TQ83SE |
| District | ASHFORD, KENT |
| Civil Parish | TENTERDEN, ASHFORD, KENT |
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
1. 1715 ASHFORD ROAD (North West Side)
No 33 "The Old Meeting House" (Unitarian Chapel) TQ 8833 1/98 8.5.50.
II GV
2. This building dates from 1746 although there had been a chapel on the site since 1662. 2 storeys red brick. Half-hipped tiled roof and eaves cornice. 3 cambered mullions and transoms. Wide doorcase with fluted pilasters containing 2 6-panel moulded doors with a pediment over. Gallery inside and contemporary pulpit.
Nos 31 to 37 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ8859433720
A chapel for Presbyterians had apparently existed on this site in 1662, but if so was rebuilt circa 1700 as a timber-framed building with tile hanging a brick plinth. It was extended to the front in 1746 in mathematical tiles but late refronted in brickwork. The roof is tiled with half hips to each side concealing parallel valleys. The east front of three widely space bays has a central entrance with double doors in a pedimented surround. The church became Unitarian in the early 19th century. (2)
<1> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.
<2> Christopher Stell, 2002, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England (Bibliographic reference). SKE58544.
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2026 3:36PM