Listed Building record TQ 75 NE 345 - THE SALVATION ARMY HALL
Summary
Location
| Grid reference | TQ 7616 5598 (point) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TQ75NE |
| District | MAIDSTONE, KENT |
| Civil Parish | MAIDSTONE, MAIDSTONE, KENT |
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
UNION STiEET 1. 5278 (South Side) The Salvation Army Hall TQ 7655 NW 2/361 II
2. This was formerly a Baptist Church. Mid C19, 2 storeys colourwashed. Pediment- shaped gable. Long and short quoins. Stringcourse. 3 sashes on the 1st floor with verticals only, set in round-headed arcading with panels beneath. Central doorcase with cornice and console brackets. 2 sashes on the ground floor with verticals only and moulded architraves.
Listing NGR: TQ7620556030
Formerly the Bethel Chapel used by the Particular Baptists and then the General Baptists. The chapel was built in 1834 and closed in 1907 when the congregation relocated to Knightrider Street. The chapel was then taken over by the Salvation Army. It is now the Raja of Kent Indian Restaurant.
Former Baptist Church in Union Street, now Salvation Army Hall built in 1833 and used by the Baptist until they removed to a new chapel in Knightrider Street in 1906-7. Two storeys colourwashed. Pediment-shaped gable. Long and short quoins. Stringcourse. 3 sashes on the 1st floor with verticals only, set in round-headed arcading with panels beneath. Central doorcase with cornice and console brackets. 2 sashes on the ground floor with verticals only and moulded architraves. (2)
<1> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.
<2> Christopher Stell, 2002, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England (Bibliographic reference). SKE58544.
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2026 1:12PM