Listed Building record TQ 54 NW 88 - BRITISH LEGION HALL
Summary
Location
| Grid reference | TQ 5468 4634 (point) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TQ54NW |
| Civil Parish | LEIGH, SEVENOAKS, KENT |
| District | SEVENOAKS, KENT |
Map
Type and Period (4)
Full Description
The following text is from the original listed building designation:
LEIGH LEIGH 1, 5280 High Street (South Side) British Legion Hall TQ 5446 19/687 II GV 2. Formerly the Evangelical Free Church. 1871 by George Devey. Red brick building with diaper of blue headers. Stone dressings. Perpendicular style windows divided by stepped buttresses. Road front shows 2 2-light upper windows with square heads under continuous stepped hoodmoulds. Projecting porch at right with diagonal buttresses.
The British Legion Hall, Leigh Club, the Village hall together with their forecourt walls, Nos 1 & 2 Fleur de Lis Cottages and the Fleur de Lis Public House form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ5469046349
Evangelical Free Church built in 1871 by George Devey. After 1888 it passed to the Established church and was use as a Sunday School. It had again become a Free Churchby 1937, but is now the British Legion Hall. Red brick building with diaper of blue headers. Stone dressings. Perpendicular style windows divided by stepped buttresses. Road front shows 2 2-light upper windows with square heads under continuous stepped hoodmoulds. Projecting porch at right with diagonal buttresses. (2)
<1> English Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Map). SKE16160.
<2> Christopher Stell, 2002, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England (Bibliographic reference). SKE58544.
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2026 1:13PM