Listed Building record TQ 73 NE 232 - PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

Summary

Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1795 to 1899 Summary from record TQ 73 NE 17 : 1795 with later additions and alterations Calvinistic or Countess of Huntingdon Connexion chapel. A meeting house built in 1795 was converted to a chapel in 1803, the original meeting house becoming a schoolroom. The chapel was extened to the west, and the east gallery extended in 1808, enlarged to the north in 1818, and further extended in 1828 by Thomas Dearn. Late 19th century alterations. Timber-framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs, hidden by parapet to front. Weatherboarded to front on first floor with masonry grooving on wooden supports of which one column has a Doric capital. The rest renewed or altered. Polygonal front of 7 faces on first floor. The central five with tall round- headed sashes with glazing bars in open boxes, the centre window being false. Ground floor to rear has evidence of two different builds of brick work. Staircases to chapel against westernmost bay of polygonal front and against east wall, which continues to gallery. It became Strict Baptist in 1909.

Location

Grid reference TQ 77678 36008 (point)
Map sheet TQ73NE
District TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT
Civil Parish CRANBROOK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT

Map

Type and Period (8)

Full Description

The following text is from the original listed building designation:
CRANBROOK STONE STREET TQ 7736 SE (west side) 10/99 20.6.67 Providence Chapel - II*
Presbyterian chapel. 1795, 1803, 1808, 1818 and 1828 with late C19 alterations. Timber-framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs, hidden by parapet to front. Weatherboarded to front on first floor with masonry grooving on wooden supports of which one column has a Doric capital. The rest renewed or altered. Polygonal front of 7 faces on first floor. The central five with tall round- headed sashes with glazing bars in open boxes, the centre window being false. Ground floor to rear has evidence of two different builds of brick work. Staircases to chapel against westernmost bay of polygonal front and against east wall, which continues to gallery. INTERIOR: Baptisting under polygonal front in centre of floor in front of pulpit, (1914). Vestries also on ground floor. Chapel has flat plaster ceiling with ceiling beams showing stages of enlargement. South and west galleries with reeded edges to panels separated by reeded pilasters, all supported on columns, now marbled. Pulpit with 5-sided front and applied reeded mouldings to panels, supported on two marbled fluted columns. Seating, of early C19, benches with backs filled later. See B.O.E., W Kent, P237.
Listing NGR: TQ7767836008

Description from record TQ 73 NE 17 :
(TQ 77673600) Chap (NAT) (1) Providence Chapel, Stone Street, Cranbrook. Presbyterian chapel. 1795, 1803, 1808, 1818 and 1828 with late C19 alterations. Timber framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs. (2) [For full description see list]. Providence Chapel, of 1828, is one of Cranbrook's memorable buildings. It has a seven-sided front faced with timber grooved to look like stone and supported on square Tuscan piers. (3)

Calvinistic or Countess of Huntingdon Connexion chapel. A meeting house built in 1795 was converted to a chapel in 1803, the original meeting house becoming a schoolroom. The chapel was extened to the west, and the east gallery extended in 1808, enlarged to the north in 1818, and further extended in 1828 by Thomas Dearn. Late 19th century alterations. Timber-framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs, hidden by parapet to front. Weatherboarded to front on first floor with masonry grooving on wooden supports of which one column has a Doric capital. The rest renewed or altered. Polygonal front of 7 faces on first floor. The central five with tall round- headed sashes with glazing bars in open boxes, the centre window being false. Ground floor to rear has evidence of two different builds of brick work. Staircases to chapel against westernmost bay of polygonal front and against east wall, which continues to gallery. It became Strict Baptist in 1909. (4)


<1> OS 1:2500 1970 (OS Card Reference). SKE48212.

<2> DOE(HHR) Tunbridge Wells Dist Kent (Cranbrook Ph) 19th May 1986 85 (OS Card Reference). SKE41217.

<3> Bldgs of Eng (Ed N Pevsner) W Kent and the Weald 1980 245-6 (J Newman) (OS Card Reference). SKE37693.

<4> Christopher Stell, 2002, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England (Bibliographic reference). SKE58544.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> OS Card Reference: OS 1:2500 1970.
  • <2> OS Card Reference: DOE(HHR) Tunbridge Wells Dist Kent (Cranbrook Ph) 19th May 1986 85.
  • <3> OS Card Reference: Bldgs of Eng (Ed N Pevsner) W Kent and the Weald 1980 245-6 (J Newman).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Christopher Stell. 2002. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Feb 10 2026 8:50AM