Monument record TR 15 NW 252 - Dane John lime works

Summary

Lime works situated south of the city, comprising an extensive system of 2ft (61cm)- gauge mineral lines used to transport chalk from the quarry faces to the kilns, operation was mainly by winch on inclined tracks. The works were bisected by the Elham Valley line in 1889. The quarry is now derelict though the sites of the kilns and some of the tracks can still be seen.

Location

Grid reference Centred TR 147 566 (156m by 153m)
Map sheet TR15NW
County KENT
District CANTERBURY, KENT
Civil Parish CANTERBURY, CANTERBURY, KENT

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

<1> Haselfoot AJ 1978 The Ind Arch of South-East England London Batsford (29) (OS Card Reference). SKE43738.

<2> Thames Valley Archaeological Services, 2002, Nunnery Fields Hospital, Canterbury, Kent: An Archaeological Desk Based Assessment (Unpublished document). SKe8109.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> OS Card Reference: Haselfoot AJ 1978 The Ind Arch of South-East England London Batsford (29).
  • <2> Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2002. Nunnery Fields Hospital, Canterbury, Kent: An Archaeological Desk Based Assessment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jan 17 2024 1:09PM