It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.
Monument record TQ 76 SW 482 - Rochester Airport incorporating air defences (bofors emplacement)
Summary
Rochester Council established an airport at the site in 1933. Short Brothers began flying at the site soon after and in 1934-5 took over the airfield. In the early years they used the site for test flying but began civilian flights in 1934 flying to Southend. In 1938 a flying school was established, also run by Shorts. The airfield was heavily bombed on 15th August 1940 hitting the factory, where Stirlings were being built, the runway and other buildings. Shorts left the airfield in 1946 but the airfield continued to be used for training and small scale flying
Location
Grid reference | TQ 7450 6450 (point) FCE |
---|---|
Map sheet | TQ76SW |
Civil Parish | ROCHESTER & CHATHAM, MEDWAY, KENT |
County | KENT |
Unitary Authority | MEDWAY |
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
<1> Victor Smith and Ron Crowdy, Thames Gateway Assesment: Gazetteer of Defence Sites (Index). SKE6445.
Sources/Archives (1)
- <1> SKE6445 Index: Victor Smith and Ron Crowdy. Thames Gateway Assesment: Gazetteer of Defence Sites.
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Thematic Articles (1)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2024 3:48PM